There are many foods which we enjoy, and leave within reach, but yet can be classed as toxic dog food. There is every danger that by feeding your dog these foods or ingredients, or allowing them to eat your scraps, you are endangering your little Chihuahua. The range of symptoms may vary from a minor stomach upset to death due to the poisonous nature of these.
With this in mind it is vital that you know what to feed your dog. The list below is considered to be dangerous dog food, and is not to be included in any home made dog food recipe. Please note that this list is by no means complete.
Although raw and roasted Macadamia nuts are not considered fatal, they are still to classed as toxic dog food and will give your dog health problems if just a handful of these are consumed. The onset of symptoms usually occurs within 6-24 hours, with the effects including gastrointestinal upsets, weakness, and vomiting. Your dog may be unable to rise due to joint / muscle pain and joint swelling and will be panting and distressed. Recovery is normally within 24 – 48 hours. The actual toxin or how the toxin causes the symptoms is still unknown.
Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins are very toxic and are to be considered a very dangerous dog food. Relatively small amounts can cause irreversible damage to the kidneys and even result in death. (Though the exact toxic dosage has not been established, 4-5 grapes or raisins can be toxic to a 20 pound dog.) Symptoms may manifest themselves within a few hours after consumption, but normally within 24 hours. Symptoms include loss of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea, decreased urine, and weakness. Treatment may consist of inducing vomiting or stomach pumping, followed by medication.
When considering what to feed your dog, stay well away from anything containing Xylitol. This is a sugar substitute which is often found in candy and chewing gum. Three grams (five pieces of gum) is toxic enough to kill a 65 pound dog, whilst smaller dogs may be killed by just two pieces of gum. It is to be considered a very dangerous food for dogs.
The onset of symptoms may occur within 30 – 60 minutes. Xylitol will cause insulin to be secreted by stimulating the pancreas, which in turn will result in blood sugar levels dropping (Hypoglycemia).
The symptoms may include weakness, seizures, a drunken like gait and collapsing. Brain damage may occur, and death may result in 24 hours from liver failure. Chi owners take note of low blood sugar!
In the event that any product containing Xylitol is ingested by your dog, ensure to contact your vet immediately. The vet may induce vomiting or instruct you to do so if he is more than 30 minutes away. Your dog will need to be monitored closely for 1-2 days and be treated intravenously with dextrose. Liver damage may be permanent.
Onions and garlic
Onions and garlic, whether fresh, cooked or in powder form, is classed as toxic dog food and dangerous to your Chihuahua due to the sulfoxides, disulfides and thiosulphate within them. Although onions are more dangerous than garlic, both should be considered toxic dog food which are to be avoided. Care must be taken when leaving left over pizza, Chinese food or even baby food lying around, since these will cause your dog health problems.
Symptoms will show a few days after your dog has eaten the onion / garlic. They will suffer from gastroenteritis, vomiting, diarrhea a loss of appetite and weakness. They will also suffer from hemolytic anemia, a condition which will cause the destruction of red blood cells, which will cause red urine. Kidney damage may follow.
Your dogs condition will improve once it stops eating onions / garlic, and treatment may consist of a blood transfusion and therapy.
Alchohol and Yeast Dough
Alcohol and yeast dough both contain ethanol. This is a chemical which will cause respiratory and nervous system problems, making it a toxic dog food ingredient. Small doses of ethanol can cause symptoms such as lethargy, weakness, a drunk like gait, sedation and even hypothermia.
If you suspect that your dog has consumed any product containing ethanol, ensure to contact your vet immediately, since this is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream. It is normally not helpful to induce vomiting in your dog. Treatment by the vet will consist of supportive care with therapy and medication.
The toxicity of caffeine is very similar to that of chocolate. First symptoms are normally hyperactivity, and vomiting, followed by panting, increased heart rate weakness and convulsions. There may be damage to the lungs, kidney, nervous system and heart because of this. The vet may induce vomiting or pump your dogs stomach to treat him.
Fruit Pits and Seeds
The toxin cyanide is contained in apple seeds, peach, plum and cherry pits. This may cause cyanide poisoning which includes skin irritation, heavy breathing, vomiting, cardiac dysrhythmia, coma and general dog health problems.
Rotten or Moldy Foods
As expected, these can be dangerous foods for dogs, which can cause many dog health problems. You must therefore ensure that your dog doesn’t eat from a trash can. If in doubt about what to feed your dog, never let your dog eat any food which you would not be prepared to eat yourself. Rotten fruit will produce ethanol, the same chemical associated with alcohol and yeast dough ingestion, whilst moldy food will contain toxins causing muscle tremors and convulsions. Allowing your dog to browse through garbage may also expose him to botulism, which will can cause a slow heart rate, constipation and paralysis.
The Avocado, as well as its leaves, seeds and bark contain persin. This is to be considered toxic to dogs, and can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Cat food is generally high in fat and protein.
Chicken or fish bones, and bones from any other type of meat
Chicken bones are not classed as a toxic dog food, however, they may get stuck in the mouth, throat or internally and cause complications.
Corn cobs are a common cause of intestinal blockages which will require surgical removal and are not to be included in any home made dog food recipe.
Fish is not generally a toxic dog food, however high amounts of fish can lead to a vitamin B deficiency, resulting in seizures and possibly death.
Hops can cause an increase in heart rate and temperature, seizures and death.
Various types of mushrooms are dangeours and therefore classed as toxic dog food. These toxins may affect multiple systems in the body and cause shock and death. Avoid feeding any type of mushroom.
Consumption of raw eggs can lead to a decrease of absorption of vitamin B, resulting in coat and general dog health problems.
Rhubarb leaves contain oxalates which can affect the nervous and digestive system.
Supplements containing iron
Iron can cause damage to the digestive system, and can be toxic to other organs such as the kidneys causing general dog health problems.
It won’t take much to make your dog seriously ill. Avoid this from happening by keeping any toxic dog food out of reach, and being careful with what you include in your home made dog food recipe. If you think that your dog has ingested anything which may be harmful to him, ensure you seek expert advice without delay. Adopting a “wait and see” attitude could prove to be fatal, every minute will count in these situations.